Wednesday, September 08, 2010

UFO NEWS: Leslie Kean Soundly Rebukes Oberg Accusations Re - "UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record"

UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record
Skeptic misses point behind UFO book

Solid sightings cited in ‘UFOs’; serious investigation needed

By Leslie Kean
msnbc.com
9-7-10

      When I wrote my book about officially documented UFO reports, I fully expected the skeptics to react. That’s why I was careful to focus only on the very best evidence from the most credible sources in "UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go on the Record." Since 95 percent of all sightings are eventually identified, the book is concerned only with the remaining 5 percent — those UFO events that have been thoroughly investigated, involve multiple witnesses and ample data, but still cannot be explained.

That didn’t stop James Oberg, a space analyst for NBC News, from complaining that the book was based on a “questionable foundation.”

In the biographical note appended to his commentary, he notes that he spent 22 years at NASA’s Mission Control and has written books about space policy and exploration. But he neglects to inform readers of something UFO researchers already know all too well: that he is a founding fellow of the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (CSI, formerly CSICOP), a group whose aim is to debunk UFOs and any other unexplained phenomena that challenge our familiar ways of thinking.

For many years, Oberg, while retaining his stance as an objective student of the UFO phenomenon, has been a consistently vocal skeptic. His long list of articles dealing with UFOs date from the 1970s and are posted on his website under the heading "space folklore," which accurately sums up his attitude towards the subject. He may be qualified to serve as an unbiased, expert consultant on Russian or Chinese missile systems, but not on UFOs.

2 comments :

  1. I read her article on MSNBC and read all the comments. I am astounded by how many people who claimed to be astronomers, chemist and others need to brush up on reading comprehension. It's simple explain how a pilot chases this object get's attack by that object and is chasing a balloon. Or a missile silo get's shut off by a balloon.
    What James did is what all debunkers and certain commentators do and that is skirt the real question by throwing out old news. Explain the unexplained UFO craft cases.

    Joe Capp
    UFO MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was excited when this book came out. I prefer to read UFO accounts close to the source, rather than potted summaries sometimes several removes or decades from the incident. Kean conducted herself admirably in interviews and stayed on message, despite the idiocy of some interviewers.

    But Kean's reaction to the Oberg critique has shaken my good feeling about this book. First off, there is her absurd smear of Oberg's "non-disclosure." Where is the conflict of interest? She cites none, instead relying on a shameful "guilt by association" tactic backed only by the notion that the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry is a cabal of liars (conveniently overlooking the Nobel winners and numerous PhDs who have been fellows of this committee). At best, Kean's attack is mere whining -- at worst, unhinged paranoia. I prefer to split the difference and say it is desperate and irresponible.

    Secondly, the facts she cites in her response are being pummelled online. (See UFO UpDates for a start.)

    I sincerely hope Kean will learn from this lapse of discipline. She should let the accounts in the book stand for themselves. Kean's own views and arguments (which are showing poorly, at present) should not be the focus of discussion. They detract from the integrity of the project.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Contributor,

Your comments are greatly appreciated, and coveted; however, blatant mis-use of this site's bandwidth will not be tolerated (e.g., SPAM etc).

Additionally, healthy debate is invited; however, ad hominem and or vitriolic attacks will not be published. Please keep your arguments "to the issues" and present them with civility and proper decorum-FW






LIVE SIGHTING REPORTS BY MUFON